[lbo-talk] Re: Ends and Odds

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 14 18:56:29 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Kelly asked:

> what did she actually say?

She made a comment about keeping Bush where it belongs and not in the White House.

She also said that anyone who waved to Stevie Wonder wasn't fully there.

John wrote:

> Since I tend to be a fairly strong believer in rational choice theory
voter turnout always makes my head hurt.

What is rational choice theory?

> I vote and although I know it has no measurable effect on the outcome
I do it anyway and yet feel it is not mostly symbolic. Makes no sense but there you have it.

But that does make sense. What doesn't make sense is treating a concrete act like a symbol. Life is not a text that needs to be analyzed and critiqued like some poem in a graduate seminar, ferreting out secret meanings.

Christian wrote:

> And if you start dissing Symbolist poetry, you're gonna have an ugly fight on
your hands. Verlaine and Mallarme lumped in with the Naderites!? For shame! :)

Please accept my apologies. I am an Anthony Hecht/Anne Sexton/Youssef Komunyakaa fan myself, but I clearly went too far in when I lumped the sublime with the ridiculous.

And speaking of the ridiculous . . .

Frank asked for evidence about Nader being a racist. Doug has already helped here, but in case you missed it (and because it is too delicious, as well as delirious, not to repeat):

Nader has demanded an apology from the CBC and Congressman Watt because of a racial epithet directed at him by Watt.

What was said?

"Watt, Nader alleged, called him "just another arrogant white man, telling us what we can do. It's all about your ego, another [expletive] arrogant white man."

White is now a racial epithet? A black man speaking truth to power (or what passes for power in the minds of certain leftists) needs to be apologized for?

But I was wrong about one thing. Nader is not a racist. He is completely out-to-lunch on racial issues. His assertion of skin privilege is mind-boggling. He is not a racist; Nader is an ultra-racist.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister