[lbo-talk] Greens for Nader!

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 15 09:05:07 PDT 2004

>Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
>Thu Jul 15 08:04:20 PDT 2004
<snip>
>Splitters! "Principled greens"?
>
>My lord, there are infinite enemies and you don't even respect your
>own internal democratic processes within the Green Party.

The Green Party's voting process of the electoral college that apportions electors to states based on their total populations rather than numbers of state Green Party members -- determined by the fearful technocratic faction of Medea Benjamins who cannot endure flaks from their Democratic friends and who need patronage of their Democratic benefactors for survival -- at its national convention was the antithesis of internal democracy, and that is why David Cobb and His Vice Presidential Candidate Who May Not Vote for Herself and Her Running Mate got nominated by the delegates (many of whom have few grassroots supporters in their respective states), even though they did not receive the majority of the popular votes in the Green primaries. <blockquote>Cobb won the party's presidential nomination by a narrow majority of the nearly 800 delegates voting at the convention . . .

Cobb won about 5,000 votes in the California Green Party primary, for less than 12 percent of the total. Fewer people than that voted for him in all of the other state caucuses and primaries combined leading up to the convention. Yet Cobb came to Milwaukee with nearly one-third of delegates already committed to him. Camejo, who won 33,000 votes in the California primary alone, had less than half the number of delegates that Cobb did.

Nader and Camejo have far more rank-and-file supporters inside and outside the Green Party than Cobb and LaMarche, and Green leaders who have done the most for the Green Party -- Matt Gonzalez, Jason West, Ross Mirkarimi <http://www.rossforsupervisor.org/>, Donna Warren, and others -- support the Nader/Camejo campaign rather than the Cobb/LaMarche effort to help elect John Kerry.

It's Peter Miguel Camejo and his supporters who are the present and future of the Green Party. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>