[lbo-talk] Re: Greens for Nader!

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 15 09:44:40 PDT 2004

> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:05:07 -0400
> From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>
> The Green Party's voting process of the electoral college that
> apportions electors to states based on their total populations rather
> than numbers of state Green Party members -- determined by the
> fearful technocratic faction of Medea Benjamins who cannot endure
> flaks from their Democratic friends and who need patronage of their
> Democratic benefactors for survival -- at its national convention was

I voted for Nader in 2000, and had many quite vicious arguments with friends and family about it. I've subscribed to the Green Alliance list for a number of years, and reading it these days is a very depressing experience. The idea that fellow Greens can disagree with the Nader choice for any of a number of reasons while still retaining common goals of change in society and the growth of the Green Party is apparently completely foreign to most contributers to the list. It is full of this sort of stuff - the "fearful technocratic faction", those who lack "principle" and "cannot endure flak", etc. etc. All the while engaging in the most ludicrous fantasies about Bush self-destructing and it becoming a Nader/Kerry race (I am not kidding - people really say this). Joel Kovel's piece was completely on target.