[lbo-talk] coalition still strong!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 15 10:16:21 PDT 2004

[The Daily Show ran clips the other night of Bush saying eight times in one speech that "we've made America safer" by beating the crap out of Iraq. Evidently they're following the same strategy of repetition about the "coalition."]

U.S. Insists Iraq Coalition Still Strong

By Steve Holland

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States insisted on Thursday its coalition in Iraq (news - web sites) remained strong despite the Philippines' decision to withdraw its 51 troops and pointed to Mongolia and El Salvador (news - web sites) as evidence of its strength.

The Philippines, which has a hostage under a death threat, was set to join Spain, the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua and Honduras as countries that have pulled out of what once was a 34-nation coalition that large countries France and Germany refused to join.

The withdrawals suggested serious cracks in a coalition that has become a U.N.-sanctioned multinational force set up to help provide security in Iraq before elections in January, and appeared to undermine President Bush (news - web sites)'s frequent statements that Iraq has plenty of international backing.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan pointed to Mongolia's continued presence in the coalition as evidence of its strength, as well as Australia's decision to send more troops and El Salvador's proposal to extend its 380 troops in Iraq for up to another year.

"You've seen strong statements of support from a number of countries who are in Iraq now recognizing the importance of going after the terrorists and helping the Iraqi people address the security threat that they face. I think you have to look at the complete picture when you're talking about this," he said.

Lithuania has renewed its commitment to the coalition as well, while Norway has withdrawn most of its forces, and New Zealand and Thailand appeared poised to pull out.

Mongolia has about 130 troops in Iraq, and Bush was to praise the Mongolian presence in a meeting on Thursday with Mongolian President Natsagiin Bagabandi.

The Bush administration has had a close working relationship with the president of the Philippines, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo (news - web sites). Bush visited Manila in October and praised her as a close ally in the war against terrorism.

Now, the White House is expressing regret at her decision to withdraw from Iraq as a signal to Islamic militants that abductions and death threats can pay dividends, similar language used when Spain withdrew after a new government was elected in the wake of a devastating bomb attack in Madrid.

"It's disappointing to see a decision that sends the wrong signal to terrorists. You cannot negotiate with terrorists or make a separate peace with terrorists," McClellan said.

U.S. officials have pointed out that other countries with nationals under a death threat in Iraq, Japan, South Korea (news - web sites) and Bulgaria, resisted pressure to pull out their forces.

The State Department has left it open whether Manila's decision will affect U.S.-Filipino relations.

"I think we'll have to see. They have pledged, we have pledged to continue the strong cooperation we have had in many, many other areas with regard to terrorism," said State Department spokesman Richard Boucher on Wednesday.