[lbo-talk] LBO-talk Fundrace

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jul 16 13:27:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Carl Remick wrote:

> [Maybe he's contributing produce. According to his blog, Brad had a bumper
> crop this year:]
>
> Summer Fruit
>
> We are having very good luck this summer with: avocados, plums, pluots, and
> white-flesh nectarines.
>
> That is all.
>
> Posted by DeLong at July 13, 2004 08:42 PM
> <http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/movable_type/2004_archives/001195.html>
>
> [It's hard to believe he's eating that all himself. But opinions may differ
> on that score in view of the following:
> <http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/Career/pictures.html>]
>
> Carl

I noticed we don't get past two or three posts re:Delong without a fat joke (kinda like the obligatory comments about Michael Moore in discussions of F 9/11). It's interesting to me how people who are mortified at jokes about lazy blacks think nothing about making comments like those above. I don't mean to be the uber-PC bleeding heart liberal here, but discrimination and ridicule based on body shape and size is just as appalling to me as discrimination and ridicule based on race, gender, sexual identity, and other socially recognized characteristics.

I thought we were better than this. (--or am I being naive?)

Miles