[lbo-talk] LBO-talk Fundrace

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jul 16 14:41:54 PDT 2004

From: snit snat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk]

At 04:35 PM 7/16/2004, Carl Remick wrote:
>>From: snit snat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com>
>>
>>Pass the bong!That must be some mighty fine weed you be smokin' there
>>Yoshie. Quit bogarting it and share. After all, it's Friday with a Capital
F!

>I'm one toke over the overpost line here, but it's Friday as you note, so
>what the heck.
>
>I have a technical quibble. I don't think it's correct to use "bogarting"
>in conjunction with "bong." "Bogarting" derives from H. Bogart's habit of
>letting a cigarette dangle from his lip, and strictly speaking it should
>refer only to the wasteful practice of letting a burning *joint* dangle
>from the lip. A bong is a pipe that is typically very unwieldy and does
>not lend itself to lip-dangling.
>
>Carl

Ok. So I should have told her to put down the blunt. :) I always wondered where the expression came from. Hey, when you're high, you wonder about that sort of thing. I think, though, given the nature of slang, that it has transmogrified to simply mean monopolizing something. In the old 'hood, people would say, "Quit bogarting the ramen." (There was a fad for awhile: eating raw ramen noodles. They keep them in the package sleeve and munch away.)

^^^^^^ Yea, and in some hoods there was an even more generalized "That's bog" as a substitute for "That's bold" meaning generally not cool. Although this might derive from "bogus" too.

Happy happy hour !

Charles