[lbo-talk] LBO-talk Fundrace

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 05:24:15 PDT 2004

>From: John Thornton <jthorn65 at mchsi.com>
>
>>I think you're comparing apples and white-flesh nectarines. I am very
>>deeply unconcerned about offending J. Bradford DeLong.
>>
>>But for my repeat overposting I do apologize.
>>
>>Carl
>
>You offend more than just Brad when you point out somebodies weight as
>something to be ridiculed.

"Somebodies"?! You're right, there are more important things than weight to ridicule. Hie thee to a dictionary.

The point is, Brad is not "somebody"; he's "Somebody." He's one of those Council of Economic Advisers-caliber economists who are called on to sanction national policy and, in times of austerity, tell the people to "pull in their belts," etc. This appeal is more seemly (at least) when it comes from cadaverous types like Alan Greenspan or Robert Rubin (whatever their myriad other limitations) and not porkers like DeLong or Larry Lindsey. Being in the public eye in such a capacity imposes some responsibility for not being a symbolic hypocrite.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/