[lbo-talk] Re: LBO-talk Fundrace

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 17 10:43:57 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Yoshie wrote:

> Given the frequency with which the Anybody But Bush
and Nader sentiments are aired on LBO-talk, I thought that more LBO-talkers must have given money to at least one Democratic candidate -- most likely Howard Dean or John Kerry, as Dennis Kucinich seems to be even less respected than Nader here -- but that doesn't seem to be the case. Why is that?

Well, in the case of my husband and me, we have been living for the last year on one salary as he has been unempolyed since March of last year -- just one of the 50% of black men who cannot find work in New York City.

Complicating his search is that though he is intelligent and capable, he does not have a college degree. It seems that a college degree is now the minimum expected to get even an interview, never mind actual employment. Companies even want their receptionists to have a degree. (Being an openly gay black man with dreads may also work against him.)

I guess those that those who jump through the hoops of academia are loath to give chances to someone who takes a different path. And what a few weeks on lbo-talk can prove to anyone, having a degree (or even degrees) doesn't mean that someone knows shit.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister