[lbo-talk] Left Behind: Race and the Second Amendment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 18 07:42:05 PDT 2004

dano wrote:

>At 6:02 PM -0700 7/17/04, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>>'Liberals and leftists' that I know who support the 2nd largely keep
>>their mouths shut about it at cocktail parties.
>
>And forums like this I expect.

I don't know whether I qualify as a supporter of the second amendment, but I'm a lot less obsessed with gun control than many leftists, and am not unpersuaded by the argument that giving the state a monopoly over weapons is a bad idea. (Litotes is meant to suggest a degree of ambivalence, not fear of cocktail party exposure.) I loved the bit in Bowling for Columbine about how Canadians have as many guns as Americans, and don't blow each other away like we do.

Doug