[lbo-talk] Left Behind: Race and the Second Amendment

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 18 10:41:14 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> dano wrote:
>
> >At 6:02 PM -0700 7/17/04, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> >>'Liberals and leftists' that I know who support the 2nd largely keep
> >>their mouths shut about it at cocktail parties.
> >
> >And forums like this I expect.
>
> I don't know whether I qualify as a supporter of the second
> amendment, but I'm a lot less obsessed with gun control than many
> leftists, and am not unpersuaded by the argument that giving the
> state a monopoly over weapons is a bad idea. (Litotes is meant to
> suggest a degree of ambivalence, not fear of cocktail party
> exposure.) I loved the bit in Bowling for Columbine about how
> Canadians have as many guns as Americans, and don't blow each other
> away like we do.

Has anyone tried to arrive at some social breakdown of murders. The murder rate in Illinois went down last year _except_ in thinly populated rural counties, where it went up. I presume that increase comes from the rise in methamphetamine. What would be the murder rate in the u.s. over the last 30 years if one subtracted all murders linked in one way or another to drug trafficking? Fifty years ago people would joke (half seriously) that if one was going to get murdered it would by a relative on Christmas.

How do drug rings, etc. in England or Canada or France adjudicate their relations with each other? Such adjudication seems to be the source of a large number of killings in the U.S. True?

Carrol