[lbo-talk] The Glock 9mm is your friend, he said...

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Sun Jul 18 11:29:50 PDT 2004

There is so much nonsense about the 2nd that I have never heard a 'pure' interpretation. The NRA certainly doesn't offer one. And I've never heard a pol offer one, no matter what side. Anyway, here's my interpretation. The second amendment is a forceful reminder that liberty needs protection, and that it's an issue of life and death, and that the means to defend liberty shall not be proscribed. The collective tone of the bill of rights distinguishes between 'soldiers' and 'armies' on the one hand (state) and a 'well organized militia' on the other hand (populace). It places restrictions on the activities of the state and protections on the activities of the populace. It seems pretty clear that the founders had a clear picture of where the attack on liberty would originate.

So, as far as I'm concerned the defense of the second amendment is not an argument for guns. It's an argument for protecting liberty.

Martin