[lbo-talk] What the Ruling Class Want to Get: A Green Light

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 18 15:07:16 PDT 2004

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>The main reason for campaigning for anybody but Bush/Kerry is that the
>>final tally will provide a partial head count of our (the left's)
>>_immediate_* constituency, and that seems to me rather more important
>>than who occupies the White House next January 20.
>
>So you're setting up the same trap as Yoshie - "our" numbers will be
>small, very small. Who wants to do that? Why spin yourself
>unfavorably in advance? Many people, including almost all my
>left-wing friends, will be voting for Kerry - and many of them are
>to the left of many Nader voters (i.e., Marxists rather than
>small-biz populists). But you've already set them up as not worth
>counting.
>
>Doug

Once again, it's a question of words and deeds. You and your Marxist friends say they are opposed to the wars, occupations, and empire, but you vote for the presidential candidate who has and will continue the wars, occupations, and empire. Why should the ruling class care about what you say, however you spin it, if you don't act on it? If there is no visible opposition to Kerry from the left, and especially if the election ends in a landslide for Kerry, his ruling-class backers and governing-elite supporters will take it as a green light to proceed with their foreign and domestic policy agenda, including their wars, occupations, and empire.

Cf. <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040705/015166.html>. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>