[lbo-talk] Re: US Left, marginalization and famous people

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 19 12:26:45 PDT 2004

BklynMagus wrote:

>I guess I find it odd that the WFP can elect their candidate to the
>New York City Council and the Green Party cannot.

If Josh Mason is listening, he could provide more info, but 1) the WFP endorses lots of Dems, so they're not inventing candidates from scratch; 2) they've got some funding and real organizers, who develop agendas and knock on doors; 3) they've got a social base in unions, ACORN, etc. With the Greens, they're 1) mostly inventing candidates from scratch, or drafting inappropriate characters like Stanley Aronowitz, 2) they don't have much in the way of funding or oganization, and 3) the social base seems to be freelance malcontents, petit bourgeois idealists, and other people with no pre-existing institutional ties.

Doug