[lbo-talk] Re: uh oh dept.

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Jul 19 16:25:32 PDT 2004

Thanks for the first sensible words on the subject, Liza. I can understand Cox's anti-cop animus; after all, the poor guy had his picture posted on the local department's dart board. But why anyone would concur with his analysis is beyond me. Yes, cops do (almost by definition) enforce the laws of the "ruling class." But, excluding the drug laws that for the most part rebound to the benefit of no one (including the bourgeoisie), most laws on the books are well-worth enforcing. Yes, many cops are either incompetent or authoritarian or corrupt (or some combination of the three). But such a state of affairs would obtain even in the closest relizable approximation of utopia.

-- Luke