[lbo-talk] The Glock 9mm is your friend, he said...

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Mon Jul 19 17:49:24 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

> (Pound's source: Lincoln Steffens, Autobiography, pp. 747-56)*:
> ( ... )
> PS 2. The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens is a great book; I wonder if
> anyone reads it anymore. He has a hilarious story of how as a cub
> reporter he created a crime wave in New York City, and of how Theodore
> Roosevelt, then Crime Commissioner, ordered him to end it.

A very worthwhile book. I found one a few years back at an estate sale. Being that it's parsed into 104 chapters - likely owing to the fact that many of the pieces first appeared in various periodicals of the day - it'd make for excellent "summertime reading" (for those who need an extra kick in the pants). There are multiple copies selling for peanuts (i.e. < 4.00) at abebooks.com, although one wants to make sure and get the complete 1931 original, as there was a '50s-era abridged version as well, not to mention individually-published volumes, etc.

--

/ dave /