[lbo-talk] a plug for nathan newman

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jul 19 21:25:33 PDT 2004

R wrote:

> from the latest Undernews, creation of Sam Smith, editor of the Progressive
> Review:

> I cut ten percent or $40 billion from the Pentagon and an additional $5
> billion from the Iraq budget. I then increased spending ten percent in the
> following areas: natural resources and environment, education, training,
> employment, and social services, Medicare, and social welfare.
>
> I also cut the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts by ten percent.
>
> Perhaps I should run for president but only serve five minutes a day. That
> would save even more money.

It's a good thing that Sam Smith isn't running for president or movement leader. This kind of impoverished vision is why leftists and progressives aren't relevant.

Whatever happened to the days when progressives called for an end to the Pentagon? Given the amount of misery that the U.S. causes around the world through its military, nothing less than a 100% reduction in military spending is called for. And Sam want to throw the savings at more failed liberal social programs? What we need is an end to schools and "education." Teach people to learn and think, not how to sit through

school so they can fit as some cog in the capitalist hierarchy?

Medicare and social welfare? Sure, that might be a good choice for the next year or two, but how about demolishing capitalism and ending the need for Medicare?

Training and employment? Fuck work.

Chuck0