[lbo-talk] Anti-Chomsky Reader

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 06:46:32 PDT 2004

>From: Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
>
>On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:28:01 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>writes:
> > It's interesting how Chomsky is almost never cited in the big media -
> >
> > print or broadcast - yet he's treated by the ideological border
> > patrol as an omnipresent threat. Readers are assumed to know all
> > about him, even though the pubs that assume that almost never quote
> > him. It's like he's the personification of imperialism's bad
> > conscience.
>
>Well up to about thirty or thirty-five years ago, he used to appear
>in publications like the New York Review of Books or The New
>Republic, and even once in a great while in the NY Times. As
>I recall, it was when he started to become vocal about Israel
>and the Palestinians that the media began to impose a kind
>of boycott on him.

Hmm, I guess that boycott is one of those things that, as Chomsky notes, "we take for granted now [that] didn't exist 40 years ago."

Every day in every way we grow incomparably more civilized.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/