[lbo-talk] Bohemian Grove

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:35:19 PDT 2004

The ceremony . . . involves the burning of an effigy named Dull Care, who symbolizes the burdens and responsibilities these harried Bohemians now wish to shed temporarily. More than 100 Bohemians take part in the ceremony as priests, acolytes, torch bearers, brazier bearers, boatmen, and woodland voices, but despite many flowery speeches, they can't get the fire started. . . the perplexed Bohemians must turn to the mighty Owl for advice: "O thou, great symbol of all mortal wisdom, Owl of Bohemia, we do beseech thee, grant us thy counsel," intones the High Priest. An aura of light creates a glow around the Owl's head, and then the big bird reveals its wisdom. The High Priest must light the pyre with the flame from the Lamp of Fellowship, located conveniently enough on the "Altar of Bohemia" at the base of the Shrine . . . Bohemian Bigwigs Perpetuate Canaanite Cult William Domhoff, The Progressive, January 1981