[lbo-talk] Bohemian Grove

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Wed Jul 21 15:25:42 PDT 2004

Hi,

I think that proto-fascist and progressive movements are contending for the loyalty of mass bases in the United States. I worry that fascism as a social movement can grow quickly, and while I think it is unlikely one could take state power, a powerful fascistic movement would move the U.S. political scene far to the right as politicians at first catered to it. Similar to the role of Kahane in Israel or Le Pen in France. I think that demonization, scapegoating, and conspiracism help build fascist movements rather than progressive movements. I think there is substantial historic evidence that this is true.

If I did not think that progressive movements will ultimately triumph, I would just go fishing.

-Chip Berlet