[lbo-talk] Kerry leading among Latinos; Nader at 2%

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jul 21 17:30:58 PDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, the Washington Post was quoted as saying

> At a time when Bush and Kerry are running roughly even among all registered
> voters, Kerry enjoys a 2-1 advantage over Bush among registered Latino
> voters.

Which sounds like a real blow to them. I mean they worked hard on this, and it's a demographic of the future (i.e., it's expanding). Except two paragraphs later we learn:

> The findings suggest that, at this point in the campaign, Bush is
> falling short of his goal of notably improving on the 35 percent share
> of the Hispanic vote he received four years ago

is another way of saying they voted 2-1 against him last time. So actually this isn't big news. He's not improving his position with Latinos, but it's not clear he's falling behind either. He seems to be holding perfectly steady with this group.

Michael