[lbo-talk] Re: For the left, there are many reasons to be optimistic

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Jul 21 21:22:27 PDT 2004

Our sources cannot be just Marx and the other deep classics but the games Dennis Perrin tells us about, the Buddhism Brian Dauth shares with us, the science curious and working class structural wisdom Chuck Grimes brings to the table, the econ analysis and pop culture love Doug shares, the crazy cool energy of Kelley and I'm running out of people to thank... .d.

---------

Well, I am happy to be included at this table, but I have a request to make. Can Doug please explain his fascination with cheesy overpriced pop cult blondes passed their shelf life? Like who? Well, like Madonna and Martha for example...

Speaking of real downers, I picked up a book today that Michael Pugliese posted on the Poverty Pimp thread. Pugliese's crazy and eligible bibliographies in the place of discourse have their high points. This is one of them:

Alice O'Connor, Poverty Knowledge: Social Science, Social Policy, and the Poor in Twentieth Century U.S. History, Princeton Uni Press.

I looked it up at Cody's web page and they listed it as available in 1-5days. So I made the tremendous effort of walking two blocks to see. It turns out that Cody's uses their book distributor's database server which automatically lists 1-5day availability of anything they distribute. However, the actual store availability is something like 2-5wks depending on whether or not the distributer has the physical book in their inventory or they have to request it from the publisher. Naturally, it turns out the distributor would have to request this book. So the guy behind to order counter at Cody's told me to go up the street to University Press Books on Bancroft and check them first.

Off I went to UPB. There it was misfiled under Sociology rather than History. Imagine that. The guy at the counter who claimed a life of eternal poverty and I got into a brief discussion about the book.

Total round trip on foot from front door to desk with book, thirty minutes. Yes, UCB Doe had it, but it was checked out until 7/15/05! Some other unemployed poverty pimp must be working on their thesis...

CG