[lbo-talk] Anti-Chomsky Reader

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 09:24:00 PDT 2004

Chuck wrote:
> A good independent bookstore can't be replaced by any number of
> corporate bookstores.

Overall, I agree with the post, but don't you think that in order for indie bookstores to survive, they need an additional gimmick or source of income? When I was a buyer for a record chain, we were able to stock indie labels to our hearts desire as long as we kept the bills paid with selling the Top 100 and basic catalogue items. Most indies can't afford to do that. However, looking to the example I gave earlier of the gay bookstores that had wonderful indie and progressive selections because the videos in the back were keeping the stores afloat, wouldn't we have a better chance of indie survival if they added a profitable dimension, too?

It sounds like the bookstore you're involved with is doing this very thing, diversifying it's objectives. This sounds like a key to longevity!

- Deborah

=====

" How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks