[lbo-talk] Anti-Chomsky Reader

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Thu Jul 22 09:40:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 at 8:42am DeborahSRogers wrote:

> Geez Budge, you sound like you're trapped in the bowels
> of Montgomery County, a keen location exampling the
> polarization of this country, with the varying degree of
> "haves" in master-planned communities of The Woodlands and
> surrounding clones, where everyone knows their place in
> that socio-economic Stepford and then the trailer park
> "have nots" in places like New Caney, where the Klan still
> rode 10 years ago and still rumbles on occasion, today.
> Talk about culture gaps.

oh gawd no! i don't actually *live* in the weedlands (i'd cut my wrists first), i just work here (and have for 15 years). it is exactly as you say and after 15 years, i still can't get used to it; it is creepy in the extreme. (the woman that used to cut my hair out here went to high school here with two of the guys that beat paul broussard to death.) and it easily has the highest proportion of fish on the bumpers of cars -- even counting brazoria...

i used to live in the heights and then took a mistaken detour into northern barzoria county from which i have just recovered and have now landed in the galleria area, just outside the loop. that area is by no means perfect (i've gone from being 'represented' by delay to being 'represented' by culberson, but at least when i vote for city-wide office, my vote means something.

one of the most depressing things about brazoria was the complete pointlessness in voting. the democrats (when they actually bother to run somebody) were almost as bad as the repugnants and had zero chance of ever winning. (I remember getting a voicemail and campaign literature from the guy running for state rep railing on against gays, abortion, etc. when i read the thing closely, it turned out this was the democrat! oy vey.

> Teens out here are *starving* for information, radical ideas and
> something different. I'd rather see the posing Goth with java in one
> hand, unlit Sobranie stuck hanging on their lip,

hey, do you actually know where to buy sobranies and more? i thought they quit importing them to the US...

> As such, we don't have the community bookstore that Chuck
> describes, and yes, I wish we did. It's a bitch having to
> drive to Austin for that, but boycotting and pissin' and
> moanin' about B&N doesn't get us there, either.

exactly. i used to have other reasons for going to austin pretty frequently, so it was fun to go when i was there. but i'm not likely to get up there as often anymore...

-- no Onan

Truth is the most valuable thing we have - so let us economize it.

-- Mark Twain