[lbo-talk] Be All You Can Be

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 11:13:41 PDT 2004

--- snitsky wrote:
> So, what is going on here is that they are getting practice on
> families
> (and giving them bennies) so they can reconstruct the faces and
> bodies of
> injured soldiers.

Yep. This is not news and has been going on for at least 20 years that I'm aware of and probably longer.

> They're using the bennie to
> entice
> committment to the military and using those oeprations for practice
> for
> "real war".

Bingo. With that "free" operation comes an extra degree of risk. A better story might be found in what kind of risk those getting the freebies are really exposing themselves to without knowing it.

I'm reminded of the story the wasband used to tell about his vasectomy done by a Navy doc when he was in service. As the procedure was about to begin, the doc confessed, "Thank you, Senior Chief! I've always wanted to do a vasectomy!"

Heh. You get what you pay for.

- Deborah R.