[lbo-talk] Be All You Can Be

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 16:53:32 PDT 2004

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Surgeons and medics in the US military, I'd think, have more than
> enough occasions to do reconstructive surgery on people wounded in
> combat and war-related accidents, especially now that Washington
> actually has more than one war on its hands and thousands of US
> soldiers have been wounded.

You think? And your experience on this is? Geez, Yoshie.

What do you think these surgeons do with their time when there isn't a war? They have to still be there. They are still on call. What were they doing before we invaded Afghanistan, Iraq? Boy, I'm sure Grenada really kept 'em busy for several years. Geez.

Even during wartime, the stream of injuries comes in waves, spurts, sometimes heavy, sometimes nothing, and occurring at treatment facilities are in different locations. Do you think there's a waiting list of amputations being held up by a boob job? Geez, even the military has heard of "triage." For all I know, they probably invented it in wartime.

Note if you will that the most outrageous inadequacy and backlog for veterans coming back stateside from this war wasn't in getting to see a surgeon; it's in post-treatment beds and rehab. Most recoup time for plastic surgery occurs outpatient.

I find your perceptions very black and white with little room for considering basic realities.

- Deborah R.

=====

" How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks