[lbo-talk] Ruy Teixeira on Bush's faith-based campaign strategy

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 20:40:20 PDT 2004

At 11:10 PM 7/23/2004, Michael Pollak wrote:

>So Kerry's getting the best of both worlds. There's nothing wrong with
>his strategy. It's ideal. What's wrong is that he's got no charisma or
>public speaking skills. He literally makes Gore look charismatic.

I meet a bunch of people with the Uhuru Movement and really hit is off with one woman. Hanging out with her, I met some folks who'd gone to see Kerry in a town meeting he held here in St Pete (contra Joanna, St Pete isn't all white. IIRC, it's something like 28% black. If you get away from the beaches where you dock the yacht... you'll see plenty of people who ain't white. Like anywhere else, though, the housing patterns are pretty segregated.)

Anyway, my new friends told me that they really _liked_ Kerry up close and personal. Totally weird, too. We just returned from the bookstore (gasp! Books-a-million, two miles away! the horror!) where we heard a bunch of people in the store talking about whether they'd vote for Kerry. I guess he's a lot more interesting in other venues.

Kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'