[lbo-talk] North Korea goes online

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 26 05:05:04 PDT 2004

Chris wrote:
>--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
>>Europe, is putting North Korea online.
>>
>>He hopes that by being there first he will be able to eventually
>>tap into North Korean computer talent.
>---
>
>Where are these North Korean computer-types working?
>How many computers are there in NK?

So far, the main employer of North Korean programmers would have to be the North Korean government: its bureaucracy, military, universities, and state enterprises. But, as I mentioned in my note whose link I posted to PEN-l a moment ago, North Korea has been slowly but surely following in the footsteps of China and Vietnam, cutting subsidies, deregulating prices, establishing capitalist management practice, introducing commercial advertising, building industrial parks and shopping malls, and even making a foray into online gambling. Foreign companies have been already employing North Korean geek labor power. Here's old news:

I haven't looked into the number of computers in North Korea. Why don't you email the German businessman and ask him about that? Maybe you can write an article on the state of IT development in North Korea. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>