[lbo-talk] FBI Intimidation in Midwest Reaches New Levels

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jul 26 15:15:16 PDT 2004

Intimidation in Midwest Reaches New Levels

Latest update and statement from Kansas Mutual Aid Legal Collective 7/26/04 3:30pm Central

In the last few days anarchists and dissidents in the Midwestern states of Colorado, Missouri, and Kansas have come under pressure from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and local agencies.

Anarchists in Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka, Kirksville, Columbia, Denver, and St. Louis have been contacted directly, or through relatives, co-workers, neighbors, and friends by various branch offices of the FBI and asked questions about the Democratic and Republican National Conventions, as well as the Presidential Debates, and the Elections.

For the past several days, we here at KMA have gotten constant phone calls from anarchists across the Midwest informing us of various levels of intimidation, harrassment, and questioning.

Today several anarchists in the region were served with a federal grand jury subpoena. During a grand jury, defendents don't have access to a lawyer while inside the courtroom. Defendents can invoke the 5th Ammendment but must answer all other questions. The Grand Jury has historically been used to divide and terrorize dissidents. For more information of the Grand Jury's historically repressive role: Tikkun.org - The Grand Jury: The Modern Inquisition

If there is anyone who knows a lawyer that can practice federal law who would give advice, please contact KMA at the email address below.

Now there is an urgent need for for legal defense funds. We are asking anyone able to give anything to please do so.

The state has raised the stakes to stiffle dissent. In the coming weeks we will most likely put the call out for rallies, actions, and other public displays of support.

Although the pressure has increased, we will not back down. More than any other time, our work is necessary. More than any other time, we need your support. This isn't a joke.

Kansas Mutual Aid kansasmutualaid at hotmail.com

Send Legal Funds to: Kansas Mutual Aid c/o ARISE P.O. Box 442438 Lawrence, KS, 66044