[lbo-talk] North Korea goes online

Guest lbodownload at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 22:52:09 PDT 2004

> I used to know a guy who did translations for
> Matsushita in the 80s.
> He'd render the manuals in perfect English, but his
> bosses would
> insist on "correcting" his work.
>
> Doug

not to equate asian business cultures, but I've had this experience personally here in taiwan doing freelance translations.

I worked with one guy who would demand impossible deformations of english syntax because the company's name had to begin every sentence. he also ruled out certain indispensible grammatical structures for being too "weak according to chinese culture."

customers also insist on using chinese business english, which is full of made-up nonsense words, like 'bi-beneficial,' that chinese businessmen apparently invented for themselves in the first place.