[lbo-talk] Webloggers?

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Wed Jul 28 12:24:40 PDT 2004

Yeah, I do not think there is much to report in terms of "being there" for news.* I just read the Democratic Platform on health care. It brings new meaning to empty platitude.

http://a9.g.akamai.net/7/9/8082/v001/www.democrats.org/pdfs/2004platform.pdf

To be fair, Kerry's health care plan does have a few good things (like extending coverage in some areas and getting some people better coverage). He does little on costs (although he does support some good ideas about trying to improve quality which may indirectly lower costs). His ideas to provide more tax subsidies to purchase health care is simply bad policy.

His avoidance of real access issues and complete avoidance or real cost issues probably will not cost him many votes as Bush is much worse in nearly every area. Howard ("I'm a centristTM!") Dean has an op-ed in support of John ("I'm not interested in health policy") Kerry. Kerry has always had more on the table than Dean (who in polls was more popular with voters on Health Care issues despite having little progressive to say about it--especially, and not surprisingly, on issues affect the bottom lines of providers).

http://www.hillnews.com/op_ed/072604.aspx

Quoting "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>:

> I haven't seen much, and I've been looking.
> The regular reporting is pretty lame too, so
> they're no worse than the professionals.

* As far as the dirt I do not have much. Hillary and Bill sped past me the other day in a 3 car escort.

The only person I know personally to get into a hip party is a Republican.

Jon Cusack just went to Dunkin Donuts near my work.

I overheard some young Kerry campaign ops talking about how they have friends at a major media org who was trying to skew hires toward Dems! If Fox News heard this!

Free smoothies at the Wrap (all locations) this afternoon.

I like the big backbone.

I saw the woman who holds the sign "Stop Abusing (Human Beings) From Satellite" being interviewed by some obviously bored press yesterday. <http://www.boston-online.com/common/002345.html> Now, she is suspiciously gone!! I think the aliens got to her!

There are cops everyone doing absolutely nothing (and getting paid).

The Black Tea Carnival had some good music yesterday when I was around yesterday but looked particularly uninspired otherwise.

The UFPJ rally was lightly attended with a lot of media there just to hear Dennis Kucinich. Kucinich was fine on human rights issues only briefly losing the point to wax philosophical on what it means to be human.

I have unsuccessfully been able to get an invite to the SEIU/Families USA healthcare talk tomorrow morning (despite being an SEIU member they only gave my local 5 passes and the local president and entourage are using them--with unions is always good to be the king/queen). Anybody want to help?

The only house party fundraiser I planned on attending had the address of the event wrong. So if activists are professional "detail people" what does it mean to get the details wrong? It is a great organization so I went name them in this context.

While the state delegations and corp schmooz-a-thons are using Anthem (near the Fleet Center) for their parties this week, I will be DJing there next Tuesday!

Pro-Satan forces have been seen at many demos.

Jim

"Americans have different ways of saying things. They say "elevator", we say "lift" ... they say "President", we say "stupid psychopathic git."

--Alexai Sayle.