[lbo-talk] Sharpton

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 29 07:09:38 PDT 2004

John Lacny wrote:

>Carl Remick writes:
>
>> I am surprised by the MSNBC crew's undisguised,
>> visceral dislike of Sharpton.
>
>What have I been saying all along? Nothing gets these
>people going like race. Nothing.

Well, not exactly. They love Obama. But he's moderate and exudes Harvard (and to concede part of your point, only half black). Sharpton's rhetorical style is much more rabble rousing - his appeal is to passion, not wonkery. I think that kind of style makes the bourgeoisie nervous, because they're always nervous about the potential disruptiveness of the masses. Gotta keep them tranquilized and hopeless. Don't get them fired up.

Doug