[lbo-talk] Productivity Paralysis in Europe?

Gary? sladeg at verizon.net
Thu Jul 29 09:47:44 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Love of Leisure, and Europe's Reasons
> By KATRIN BENNHOLD,
> International Herald Tribune
>
> COPENHAGEN - Between mountains of suitcases and children racing each
> other with luggage trolleys at the airport of this Scandinavian capital,
> Maibritt Ditlev, husband, Anders, and daughter, Lotte, in tow, remarked
> that her whole country seemed to be going on vacation.

I worked in Hamburg for nine years, vacations were two weeks for christmas, one week easter, four weeks summer, plus all those extra long weekends etc. I came to work for a company in NJ and when easter came along my wife said let's go and visit friends in Florida, when I told my boss of our plans he looked shocked and explained after a year I would be entitled to one week and as I'd only been there two months.........

My children went to the International school in Hamburg so we met a lot of Americans and were introduced to life on the move. As soon as school was over the kids would be spirited off to all kinds of extra curricula activities, when we were sitting down to a family meal the americans were still flitting. I must admit to being unfamiliar with eating with ones hands at this point and it amazed us to call on friends and find them eating off paper plates with no cutlery. I don't think gay marriage has destroyed the family.

Gary? ride si sapis