[lbo-talk] Sharpton

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu Jul 29 12:56:39 PDT 2004

very glad to see dwayne bring this up. the reality is somewhat similar to the "good jewish germans" in the late 1930s who believed hitler's brown shirts would never reach them. after all, hitler "just said these things for political reasons."

fact of the matter is, just as dwayne alludes, to the white racist and to whites ignorant of what blacks are as human beings, "they all look alike."

obama is educated, intelligent, smooth and polished, rather julian bond in his early days. nothing threatening here; he's "safe." he's a relative unknown. at least for the time being.

rev al reeks of the streets and is "scary." he didn't pull any punches; he got down. he's not afraid to mix it up.

as one of the "euro-spawned," in name but not in spirit, i think i have a little insight into the shit side of US racism. i've been worried for a long time about the resurgence of jim crow in florida and tennessee in the 2000 election; and the black, and white, community's pallid, ineffectual response to a true and always present malignancy.

also, the black community's relative integration here and there into better jobs, etc., which seems to have resulted in most young people forgetting what it was like -- and could easily be again -- 50 or more years ago. to loose touch with this past -- as americans all seem to like forgetting everything that's over a year old -- is disastrous, leading to a terribly false, dangerous sense of security.

as long as all "minority" communities, and all of us, never loose sight of what dwayne's just written, there's hope. the reality is tragic and hurtful, but it can't be ignored -- ever.