[lbo-talk] Using Drugs to Control Depression, Erratic Behavior

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Thu Jul 29 17:51:50 PDT 2004

>Just to clarify: SSRIs like Prozac and Zoloft specifically influence
>neurotransmitter metabolism in the brain (not "body chemistry" in
>general). SSRIs increase the frequency with which serotonin (a
>neurotransmitter that helps regulate mood and arousal) binds on receptor
>sites on the dendrites of neurons in the brain.
>
>--Yeah, most people with depression benefit (at least temporarily) from
>the use of SSRIs. There are also notable side effects, as people in this
>thread have reported (the suicidal ideation that John T. pointed out is a
>documented side effect of Prozac).
>
>Miles

I am not convinced that many patients do not experience other chemical changes. Possible side effects in 1% to 5% of patients include; hair loss, joint pain, breast tenderness and/or enlargement, menorrhagis and more. These are physical manifestations that require some change in chemistry beyond serotonin uptake. I have been knocking AD's but I don't wish to be seen as anti-AD as I am not. I am well aware of the good they do for so many people. Many lives have been saved and transformed for the better by them. I have a good friend whose life was changed for the better. He is noticeably happier and also much more confident in himself. I do however think they are seen as a panacea by too many people. The side effects are real and can be deadly. People being treated with drugs to control depression should not be stigmatized but people should be aware of the possible side effects. My life partner was the first to notice the behavior changes in me and watched carefully for any additional changes or an increase in symptoms. I was aware of the changes myself but she noticed them and vocalized them making them more "real" and difficult to ignore somehow. I was not too concerned initially as I knew little about the possible side effects. My ignorance could have been fatal as it has been for so many others. People taking AD's need to have someone monitor their behavior carefully. We still do not know enough about these drugs to treat them as cavalierly as we so often seem to do. It seems sometimes as if the desire not to stigmatize patients on AD's works to suppress awareness and/or discussions of the need to carefully monitor a patients behavior for potentially fatal side effects. Whenever I mention the possible negative side effects I am almost always hit with a reply about how much good they do as if saying anything bad about AD's means I desire to have them banned or believe them to be more harmful than beneficial. That simply isn't true.

John Thornton