[lbo-talk] Text of speeches?

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Thu Jul 29 18:47:55 PDT 2004

joanna bujes wrote:

> I don't do TV. Is there some place on the net where I could

> read the speeches at the dem convention?

Grab 'em quick; after a week or two the Times starts making you pay for articles, but right now you can read these articles for free. You do need a user name and password for their website, but that's free too.

Wesley Clark's speech from today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/29/politics/campaign/29TEXT-CLARK.html

Speeches from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/26/politics/campaign/26TEXT-SPEECHES.html?8bl

Speeches to the Democratic National Convention

Published: July 26, 2004

WEDNESDAY

The full text of the remarks made by six of Wednesday night's convention speakers.

John Edwards "John [Kerry] is a man who knows the difference between right and wrong. He wants to serve you, your cause is his cause. And that is why we must and we will elect him the next president of the United States." • Excerpts • Text of Full Speech • Video (Flash)

Elizabeth Edwards "We deserve leaders who allow their faith and moral core -- our faiths and moral core -- to draw us closer together, not drive us farther apart." • Full Text • Video (Flash)

Bill Richardson "As chairman of this convention, as a proud New Mexico Democrat, I thank you for the great honor you have given me as the first Hispanic chair of a party convention." • Text of Full Speech • Video (Real Player)

Gen. John Shalikashvili "He knows from experience a commander's responsibility to his troops, and so he stands with our troops and with their families. And that is why I stand with John Kerry." • Full Text • Video (Flash)

The Rev. Al Sharpton "I have come here tonight to say, that the only choice we have to preserve our freedoms at this point in history is to elect John Kerry the president of the United States." • Text of Speech • Video (Flash)

The Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. "It's time to bring our troops home from Iraq and send Bush home to Texas. And it's time to send John Kerry and John Edwards to the White House this November." • Text of Prepared Speech

TUESDAY

The full text of the remarks made by five of Tuesday night's convention speakers.

Teresa Heinz Kerry "My right to speak my mind, to have a voice, to be what some have called "opinionated," is a right I deeply and profoundly cherish. My only hope is that, one day soon, women­ who have all earned the right to their opinions­instead of being labeled opinionated, will be called smart or well-informed, just as men are." • Text of Full Speech • Video (Flash)

Ron Reagan "Let me assure you, I am not here to make a political speech and the topic at hand should not - must not – have anything to do with partisanship. I am here tonight to talk about the issue of research into what may be the greatest medical breakthrough in our or in any lifetime: the use of embryonic stem cells." • Text of Full Speech • Video (Real Player)

Barack Obama "Yet even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America – there's the United States of America." • Text of Full Speech • Video (Flash)

Howard Dean "I’m Howard Dean. And I’m voting for John Kerry." • Text of Full Speech • Video (Real Player)

Senator Edward Kennedy "The goals of the American people are every bit as high as they were more than 200 years ago. If America is failing to reach them today, it’s not because our ideals need replacing, it’s because our President needs replacing." • Text of Full Speech • Video (Flash)

MONDAY The full text of the remarks made by four of Monday night's convention speakers, along with video of the speeches.

Al Gore "I’m going to be candid with you. I had hoped to be back here this week under different circumstances, running for re-election. But you know the old saying: you win some, you lose some. And then there’s that little-known third category." • Text of Full Speech • Video (Flash)

Jimmy Carter "Today our dominant international challenge is to restore the greatness of America based on telling the truth, a commitment to peace, and respect for civil liberties at home and basic human rights around the world." • Text of Full Speech

Hillary Clinton "Every day now as a mother, as a senator, as an American, I worry about whether we are acting as wisely as we can to protect our country and our people." • Text of Full Speech • Video (Flash)

Bill Clinton "We Americans must choose for president -- we've got to choose for president between two strong men who both love their country but who have very different world views: our nominee, John Kerry, who favors shared responsibility, shared opportunity, and more global cooperation, and their president and their party in Congress who favor concentrated wealth and power, leaving people to fend for themselves, and more unilateral action."

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net