[lbo-talk] Sexuality Under Seige or So What Else is New? Send tommorrow

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 29 20:35:59 PDT 2004

At 08:55 PM 7/29/2004, Carrol Cox wrote:

>And Brian is a strange person to complain about discussion of demeaning
>language, given the large representation of gay-baiting in such
>language.

I think your mistake was to pinpoint specific words. It wasn't the words, it was the tone and imagery that bothered. Chuck Grimes ain't particularly shy about his attitudes in this regard and won't apologize for them either. Frankly, I was more irritated with Carl's refusal to recognize that THK was speaking to a real dynamic: the tendency to call women opinionated (and bitch, cunt, agressive, etc.) if she dares voice an opinion _in the way men do_. It was precisely that THK's wealth _doesn't_ buy her the ability to escape those accusations which was the issue. Chuck Grimes' personal issues with women and his barely concealed hostility toward them as a group because of his particular experiences just doesn't register on Snit Dick Sling-o-Meter.

Kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'