[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige or So What Else is New?

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 29 20:38:10 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Charles Brown wrote:

> When it comes to sex, don't you think that legitimate ,left concerns about
male supremacy can impinge, and therefore men's sex talk must be examined for sexism ? That's what Carrol is getting at.

I agree sex talk should be examined (whether it comes from men or women), but I do not think that "dick" or "pussy" are obscenities across the board.

Carrol wrote:

> And Brian is a strange person to complain about discussion of demeaning
language, given the large representation of gay-baiting in such language.

I have nothing against the discussions. What do I have something against are blanket condemnations of certain words or terms. Sometimes it is a lot of fun to talk about "dick" and no other word will fit.

> I really thought that all this had been settled by the early '70s at the
latest. I am puzzled that it should be a matter of any debate at all on a left list.

Thankfully, we have advanced a long way since the 1970's. Much that came from that time was dull, doctrinaire rule making: anti-porn. speech codes, etc., etc.

Language is in a state of constant change. If I use "pussy" or "pitchfork" in a derogatory way, then it is bad. But it is not the words that are the problem, but the way I used them.

> Does anyone seriously wish to contest the proposition that denying

bigots their language does make bigotry more difficult?

But under your formulation, both bigots and non-bigots alike are denied use of certain words. Now, I want the right to talk about my lover's dick. Sometimes I want to brag about it, or revel in it or just compare notes with friends.

I do not want to deny people the right to use words. I want to call into question particular uses/contexts of words which tear at and destroy community.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister