[lbo-talk] "These anarchist kids are not who you think they are

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 30 06:28:36 PDT 2004

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/07/30/MNGKN800FG1.DTL
> ...Shaw, a veteran anti-globalization, anti-war protester from Chicago,
> had nothing against the motley demonstrators who arrived Thursday
> afternoon to participate in what he had hoped would be a massive
> anti-war march on the final day of the Democratic National Convention.
> What upset him, Shaw said, were all the people who did not show up.

"I'm not satisfied," said Shaw, a Green Party activist who in February 2003 led 20,000 anti-war protesters into the streets of Chicago. "I was expecting a sea of people -- at a bare minimum, 50,000 people to show up."

But Thursday's march was a far cry from the crowds in Los Angeles during the 2000 Democratic National Convention. The day's most tense moment came when about 400 protesters who had walked to the wire-mesh walls surrounding the FleetCenter burned a two-faced effigy depicting President Bush on one side and Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry on the other, and engaged in a brief shoving match with police officers. The march -- the largest since 2, 000 peace activists rallied last Sunday -- left activists wondering: Where have all the protesters gone?

"It's a Democratic convention in a Democratic town, I guess," shrugged William Dobbs, the spokesman for United for Peace and Justice, a nationwide coalition of more than 800 anti-war groups. With most Democrats united in the name of defeating Bush, many people think it counterproductive to protest the Democratic convention, Dobbs suggested. -- Michael Pugliese