[lbo-talk] strong, stronger, strongest!!!: a party with penisenvy?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 30 08:32:20 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

> BOSTON, July 29 - For months, John Kerry and his supporters have told voters
> that he is strong enough to keep the nation safe and caring enough to make
> it comfortable with him as president. On Thursday night his goal was to show
> the biggest audience of his life that both claims were true, and he gave it
> his best shot.

How large was the audience?

What proportion of the audience consisted of those who will always vote DP regardles _or_ those who will always vote RP regardless?

I.E. how many million of the voters who might make a difference were listening?

I remember from some 50 years ago someone saying that the only real audience of either the Convention or of campaign speeches consisted of party workers: the point was to fire them up.

Again, even in traditional electoral politics, the point is to invigorate the Choir, not hallucinate that one is speaking or writing to anyone outside the Choir.Then it's the Choir's responsibility to enlarge itself.

Carrol