[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Fri Jul 30 15:38:14 PDT 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>I, too, had an abortion -- simply because I did not want a child.
>
>what a piece of self indulgent crap.
>
>Gary?

How so? I think this was discussed recently in a thread that I did not follow terribly closely. I do wonder why you believe it is of no merit and only "self indulgent crap"? Why wouldn't working towards reducing the stigmatizing of people who choose to have abortions be a positive? Isn't it true that many women who have had abortions think abortion is wrong but that their circumstance were special enough to somehow mitigate that wrongness? Instead of seeing abortion as a morally wrong decision that is made acceptable because of circumstances would it not be better for people to simply think of abortion as a choice many women make with no remorse? Why the hostility to this? Am I incorrect in my belief that many women who have abortions still believe abortion to be wrong but somehow a lesser evil than banning abortions? I may be way off base here but I don't think so.

John Thornton