[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is New?

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sat Jul 31 07:39:49 PDT 2004

Jenny:
>> In practice, men generally have no clue and criticize us for not being
>feminist enough in our personal conduct, which is > useless and irritating
>because feminism is a political word, it's not about individual women
>changing their personal behavior under the same old oppressive conditions.

Brian:
>What about the simple, common sense idea that criticizing sexist, racist,
>homophobic speech is an effective way to clean up the public sphere?

Look, there's a context here. Men are always telling women what to do, what to say, how to act. Enough already and now we're getting criticized by men for not being sufficiently non-sexist, anti-sexist? Whatever. Try it and see what reactions you get from women who will be honest with you.

And what kind of sexist (anti-woman) comments by women are we talking about here? Women telling blonde jokes? Women complaining that other women are bad drivers, or just act that way cause they're menstruating? I'm having trouble remembering the last time a woman made a comment that I thought was sexist on more than an extremely subtle level--so subtle that no men I know would pick up on it.

>Just the same as criticizing someone who is pissing in the middle of a subway
>car. It doesn't matter if it is a man or a woman peeing on the A train
>--it shouldn't be done.

Oh, I'm sure that's real effective, too. It's not like someone doesn't know they shouldn't pee on the train. They're not likely to be in a state of mind where your criticism will be too effective.

>> Or men criticize our use of language to show how down they are with
>feminism, but the goal is to make themselves look like good guys, not reduce
>the amount of sexist bullshit in the world.
>
>Who cares what their intentions are? If it reduces the sexist bullshit,
>it reduces the sexist bullshit.

Ah, but it doesn't. In fact it *is* the kind of pedantic bullshit purity (e.g. R. criticizing Kelley for using the terms 'chick' and 'dick' a few weeks ago) that you say don't like. I thought you also didn't like theory that doesn't play out in reality. I'm telling you this theory doesn't, because it *doesn't actually* have the effect of decreasing sexist crap because in fact that is what it is, adding to it.

Jenny Brown