[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Sat Jul 31 09:34:04 PDT 2004

Situations over which women truly have "little or no control" are so few and far between they are of little consequence to any discussion of abortion. Who would be these women you feel "deserve no stigmatization"? I'm inferring, perhaps women who were raped and therefore can't be "blamed" for having sex. Or, women whose economic circumstances are so dire that it's supposedly not "self-indulgent" of them to think they can't afford to raise a child. Engels observed that control over women's reproduction is central to patriarchy - but you obviously don't care about that. What you are saying is that it's OK for women to be little more than human incubators, and that sometimes they can be relieved from incubator duty if it just seems too cruel and extreme. Essentially you think human freedom itself is "trivial."

Liza