[lbo-talk] Jonathan Schell on the DP's prowar stance

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Sat Jul 31 15:53:13 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2004, at 8:04 AM, Marvin Gandall wrote:
>
> > In fact, the outcome of the US
> > occupation, has little to do with what the Democrats or Republicans do
> > or do
> > not say, or what their intentions are. As in Vietnam and any
> > occupation, it
> > will be decided by the level and durability of Iraqi resistance.
>
> Basically that's what I've been trying to point out for some time now.

I'm not surprised. I find myself in agreement with a lot of what you post.

(snip)

> Where are all those millions of Fahrenheit 9/11 viewers? Were their
> minds really changed, or did they just have an enjoyable night out at
> the movies, laughing at the Bush-Wolfowitz-Cheney buffoons?

I think they're all waiting for November 11th. Reportedly, the vast majority of those who saw the movie were Democrats, but we've also read about the independents and Republicans in the US heartland, including in military towns, who were affected by it. I doubt if very many would have characterized the experience as "enjoyable". The more enduring image seems to have been Lila Liscomb collapsing with grief rather than Wolfowitz licking his comb. The film had to be especially powerful for those who had not been exposed to this view of the war, so you have to think it has at least had some effect. If the election proves as tight as 2000, that could be decisive.

The really interesting question is what happens after that, if Kerry should be elected. Right now, the Democratic ranks are dutifully lying low because they buy the leadership argument that this is the only way to beat Bush, which they are desperately eager to do. Will they continue to exercise this self-restraint if the US continues to pour blood and treasure into Iraq under a Kerry administration? Somehow I doubt it, anymore than they deferred to LBJ and Humphrey over Vietnam after Goldwater was out of the way. But the mass opposition then was fueled by the draft, a much higher level of US casualties, and a less compliant media, so maybe this is just more wishful thinking. We shall see.

Marv Gandall