[lbo-talk] Victoria's Secret withdraws Buddha bikini

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Jul 31 18:31:03 PDT 2004

Miles Jackson wrote:

> I can't help but wonder: when do the Jesus-on-the-cross bikinis come
> out? Moses parting the waters? Ah, the glories of commodification!

Also see this news report:

HindustanTimes.com

Thursday, July 1, 2004

'Offensive' lingerie in Godhra sparks VHP protest

Asian News International

Godhra, July 1

The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) on Thursday protested in Gujarat's Godhra town against lingerie emblazoned with images of Hindu deities.

The lingerie, which inspired various international designers in UK and the US, had already met with massive protests from Hindu organisations that see it as derogatory and in bad taste.

The undergarments, with images of what looks like Lord Vishnu, Lord Ram and Lord Krishna, were originally designed by Italian couturier Roberto Cavalli earlier this year.

The lingerie is being sold openly on the streets of Godhra, scene of communal rioting in 2002 that left over a 1000 people dead.

VHP activist Rakesh Thakrey expressed anguish at the lingerie being sold in India.

"Earlier the undergarments bearing the images of Hindu gods were being sold in foreign countries. The Hindu groups had protested against this. Then the sale was stopped but now they are trying to sell them off in India. They are trying to make this reach every house," said Thakrey.

Babubhai Patel, another activist, said: "We cannot tolerate this nonsense. Such images of gods and goddesses on undergarments are derogatory. And this is an attack on our culture, we cannot tolerate this insult."

Till now, toilet seat covers, boxes of tissues, shoes, sandals and finger puppets have all been tracked down as bearing 'offensive' images of Lord Krishna, Ram, Saraswati and other deities of the Hindu pantheon.

The campaign comes just months after Britain's increasingly-vocal Hindus protested against a plan by Merchant-Ivory Films to cast 'sex icon' rock star Tina Turner in the role of Goddess Kali.

© HTTabloid.com, .