[lbo-talk] Protection of Chinese language urged

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 02:35:33 PDT 2004

As I wrote about Japan it probably is not a factor of "world economic importance". Chinese has already a sphere of economic and cultural influence, something that Japan never had and your "Indo-European" centered opinion fails to see that the "world basic english" you mention is a 200 words sub dialect that has not much to do with what is needed to actually transfer complex information.

JC Helary --- I was thinking something similar with respect to Russian... Knowledge of Russian in a country like Uzbekistan is a hell of a lot more useful and "international" than knowledge of English. The "international language" of the CIS is Russian, and if you go into an business office building in Kiev or Tashkent, you are probably going to hear Russian spoken, not Ukrainian, Uzbek... or English.