[lbo-talk] Re: CIA torture techniques

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jun 1 03:25:17 PDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Let's take the hostile deposition as an example of how to do an
> interrogation. I've been through several of these, so this is mostly
> personal experience. I am going to exaggerate, but basically
> this is the way these things work.

This is very good description of how interrogation is supposed to work. And also why torture is completely unneeded to get to the truth. These standard techniques are all that are needed. Tough cases just take more time.

Torture muddies the water because we know it induces people to say things they think their torturers want to hear to make it stop. It's perfect for inducing false confessions. That's always been mainly why police have used it -- when they feel pressure to hang it on someone now.

Michael