[lbo-talk] Castro on Smoking

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 1 08:13:51 PDT 2004

On May 26, 2003, while speaking before thousands of people in a chilly outdoor meeting in Argentina, Fidel Castro made these observations: "As for us, we have historically been tobacco producers, and this is something we cannot give up, much less while we are subjected to the blockade, and yet when we give a friend a box of cigars as a gift, we say, "If you smoke, you can smoke them; if you have any friends who smoke, you can share them; but the best thing you can do with this box of cigars is to give them to your enemy.(Applause) Cuba is a producer and exporter of tobacco, and [yet Cuba] is waging an anti-smoking campaign"

http://www.cuba.cu/gobierno/discursos/2003/ing/f260503i.html

Carrol