[lbo-talk] Race Fans & War

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue Jun 1 11:06:23 PDT 2004

Hopefully the US Grand Prix held in Indy in June will be a little different. Since it is an international event, more so than the 500, I guess there is a chance. I do not recall pro-war prayers last year. There was a prayer but it was of the "keep everyone safe and lets hope it ends soon" nature. I could have done without it but it was no more offensive than any christian prayer to me. The US GP held the last weekend in Sept. just weeks after 9/11 was a little different. Literally thousands of anti-Saddam t-shirts being offered for sale by local street vendors, many with offensive racist cartoon images and slogans but to the credit of the people who came to see the race none were sold that I ever saw and nobody wore one either. The street vendors appeared to have just as many of their vile t-shirt and hats at the end of the event as they did at the beginning. I like to think they lost money buying that crap with the hopes that people would flock to buy them. It didn't happen. It was disappointing to see that crap on sale but heartening to see that there seemed to be no market for it. I'll be disappointed to see to many overt pro-war attire being worn but The events seem to attract slightly different crowds or else they temper their nationalistic, racist tendencies when they have a greater number of guests from overseas.

John Thornton