[lbo-talk] Race Fans & War

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 1 13:08:14 PDT 2004

TIME.com: The Nader Effect... I've had some of my best luck at truck pulls.". NASCAR for Nader, perhaps? Once again, Ralph Nader is making Democrats very, very nervous. ... http://www.time.com/time/election2004/ article/0,18471,641158,00.html

Someone else proposed canvassing obvious lefty hangouts like vegan restaurants and bookstore cafes. The volunteers briefly debated waylaying people on bike paths, and then decided doing so would probably annoy them. But Nader's Virginia campaign coordinator, Jim Polk, knew where to find a mother lode of registered voters willing to put their names on a Nader petition. "Truck pulls," Polk said, patting his well-traveled clipboard as he suggested a quintessential red-state event. "People think they're doing George Bush a favor if they sign these. I've had some of my best luck at truck pulls."

Michael Pugliese