[lbo-talk] The Draft Is Back

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 13:35:34 PDT 2004

> I'm not saying there will never ever be a draft. But this is far from
> evidence that one is coming. They might need to call a draft for selected
> specialties - technicians with skills in short supply. That would be bad
for
> Bush -- it would hit the middle-income systems analyst swing-voter in
> suburban Denver -- but I don't think they'll be calling up hundreds of
> thousands of people.
>
> Seth

Well argued and reasoned, as usual, Seth. I hope you're right. But the mechanisms for a draft are in place, and with another 9/11 (esp one with Syrian or Iranian "backing," of course) and the need to spread our superior values at gunpoint to more countries to prevent additional attacks (as well as kicking Ay-rab ass), you'd need something like a draft, if not the real thing. 'Else, where would the troops come from?

DP